Sunday, April 24, 2011

"And in that moment I swear we were infinite."

One of my favorite quotes ever is from the book The Perks of Being a Wallflower which is a great book about growing up and trying to figure out who you are.  It is narrarated by a boy who goes by Charlie who is writing letters to a complete stranger telling them about his life and experiences.  So here is my favorite quote which I live by:

"So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be."

I love this quote because I truly feel that it describes me perfectly.  As lame as it sounds, I have actually thought quite a bit about the last part of the quote.  About trying to figure out how I can be happy and sad at the same time.  To me, my life is wonderful.  But to be completely happy would mean that I would have to achieve total perfection, which is unattainable.  What I have in my life is as close to perfection as I will ever reach, which is both happy and sad because I have a wonderful life in my eyes but I will never be perfect.

I think that to be both happy and sad with your life is to be completely content with what you have.  It means that you know your life is pretty great but you also realize that there will still be some flaws.  Aristotle is the one who said that it is most important to live a virtuous life than to live at one extreme, and being either happy or sad is just an extreme.  The virtue between happy and sad is where you should live your life and is how you can make the most out of your time here.

Hmmm maybe Charlie should brush up on his virtue ethics ;)

Love me or hate me,
Molly :)

2 comments:

  1. Molly I love your blogs. =) I had to start a blog for my social media class, and I've learned to like it, and I'm glad that you've started your own and hope you enjoy it too.
    I love the quote you wrote about and am seriously considering finding that book and reading it this summer. One of the quotes that I really like from Aristotle, which kind of goes with your blog is that "One swallow does not make a summer, neither does one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy.”
    I take it to mean that we must do what we can each day to make ourselves be happy. That way, if you are happy for a day, each day, then you'll be able to look back and know you were happy. I mean I know that everyone has off days and whatnot, but I think that we need to at least try to do what we can to be as happy as we can, each day.

    ReplyDelete